Polishing a plaque on a SRJC building
A PWA grant and bonds made possible a group of buildings at Santa Rosa Junior College, including an administration unit, large assembly hall and library. These plans were drawn up by C.A. Calkins, and the building materials were steel, concrete, brick veneer and tile roof.
The WPA constructed permanent bleachers in the football stadium (now Bailey Field). Tree-trimming and other work was done on the campus. They installed the first permanent exhibit in the Jesse Park Museum of Native American artifacts as well as Californian flora, fauna and rock specimens. This grew into a biological, cultural, and historical center. Santa Rosa Junior College was also the first site in California for a WPA archeological project, which looked at prehistoric Sonoma, Napa and Marin counties.
The Luther Burbank Memorial Auditorium was completed in 1940, with PWA funds contributing.
Goddard, Paulene. 1976. The Impact of the Works Projects Administration (WPA) in Sonoma County. M.A. Thesis. The Architect and Engineer. December 1938.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE