Sanitation Department Section Station 144 in Whitestone, New York was constructed in 1937 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Interestingly, construction of the Cross Island Parkway made it necessary to plan to relocate the building the next year, to a site a few hundred feet north on 149th Street. The entire new building (as well as a neighboring fire station) was relocated to the new site, as opposed to being built from scratch, resulting in substantial savings to the city.
The New York Times: "CITY WILL MOVE TWO BUILDINGS," October 30, 1938 (pg. 39)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 23, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE