Sandersville Elementary SchoolSandersville Elementary School Today
The Sandersville high/elementary school was constructed by the PWA in 1939. The red brick building with a Georgian-Colonial facade was built on one level in the shape of an E. The high school was on the east side and the elementary school on the west, with the Administrative office, library, commercial and home economics rooms in the middle front. The 600 seat auditorium, music and expression rooms were in the center arm of the E. A small lunch room was built behind the auditorium. A newspaper article indicates the school district filed an application with the government for a grant of $67,500 and a loan of $82,500. The plan was drawn up by William J J Chase, from Atlanta.
The Sandersville school was vacated in 2008 when the school system consolidated all K-5 schools. It has been vacant since then and its condition has deteriorated. It is currently owned by the Georgia State Properties Commission. The Washington County Historical Society is in the process of trying to develop a plan to save the building.
Numerous articles from the Sandersville Progress, the local newspaper. articles in the following papers were written before, during and after the building was built: June 23, 1938 July 7, 1938 July 21, 1938 Sept 1, 1938 Sept. 29, 1938 Feb. 23, 1939 June 22, 1939 August 31, 1939 Sept 21, 1939
Project originally submitted by Frances Veal on May 8, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE