“Abstract full-length portrait of Louis Pasteur. The red granite figure wears a cape and belt of stainless steel. The cape is decorated with twenty-two stainless steel round buttons. The sculpture stands on a concrete pedestal base.”
“The sculpture was created as a WPA (Works Progress Administration) project, and the school paid $300 for materials. It was originally in a glade by the school’s art building, but around 1959 was knocked down by vandals and the figure’s nose was damaged. The sculpture was reinstalled in a landscaped area by the school’s Science building. In September 1969, the artist attempted to remove the statue from school grounds, claiming he had never been paid for the work, and unhappy over it’s location. The sculpture was subsequently returned to the school and placed at its current site. IAS files contain copies of related articles from Marin Independent Journal, Sept. 22 and 29, 1969.” (https://siris-artinventories.si.edu)
https://web.srcs.org/schoolcity/ssb/content.cfm?si=0&fi=0&siteID=0x5D3F70551A96AF46&ptc=/0x5D3F70551A96AF46/0x6CC1CAD9BEDFC84A&SiteLayout=2&CFID=1302388&CFTOKEN=49153643 Originally posted in the New Deal Art Registry: https://www.newdealartregistry.org/ https://siris-artinventories.si.edu/ipac20/ipac.jsp?uri=full=3100001~!342120!0, accessed November 21, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE