South San Gabriel River Bridge
The bridges over the north and south forks of the San Gabriel River in Georgetown, Texas are identical designs of a cantilevered-suspended span type bridge, where a steel unit is placed between cantilevered arms projecting beyond the main supports of the bridge.The Texas Highway Department designed the bridges, and the state and the United States Bureau of Public Roads provided funding. Contractor Dean Word built the two 367-foot long bridges between 1939 and 1940. The bridges carry four lanes of traffic on North Austin Avenue and are the main north-south route over the rivers into the business section of Georgetown.
Plaques on bridges Bridge NRHP eligibility reports http://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7pFUifC47Y0Sy1ZUG5palhheG8/edit http://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7pFUifC47Y0YTVNN0NZVUo0Y2c/edit
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on May 24, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE