San Diego Adobe Chapel
This chapel was originally a house, built in 1850, and converted into a chapel in 1858. In 1937, San Diego's streets were realigned and the chapel was bulldozed. The WPA rebuilt the chapel that same year on an adjacent site, using parts of the original Chapel, such as the tabernacle, the altar, woodwork, pews, confessional and doors. In restoring the chapel, WPA workers made the bricks by hand.
Whaley House website: https://www.whaleyhouse.org/winter205.htm Branton, Pamela. 1991. The Works Progress Administration in San Diego County, 1935-1942. M.A. Thesis. San Diego State University.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE