Detail of door at former NYA Community Center - Pauls Valley OK
This building was constructed as a community center in 1938 by the National Youth Administration (NYA) (which was a branch of the Works Progress Administration (WPA)).
It is a craftsman-style, one-story, T-shaped building constructed of native stone and wood. The front entrance has a porch and double doors. Above the door are the letters N Y A.
There is an NYA cornerstone at the building’s southeast corner. It reads:
Huston A. Wright, Dir NYA for Okla.
Mason Hart, Mayor
James Kelley, Eng. City Com.
Hardin Ray, Dir. – Grey Garter
C.B. Alexander, Co. Supt. – Lee Perkins
Luther Lail, Bldg. Supt. – Lee Layton
Roy Ambrister, Chair.
A.E. Clark – Bud Harrison
E. D. Williams – John W. Holmes
G.F. Wacker – J.A. Lollar
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE