Sam Houston Coliseum and Music Hall PostcardPublic Domain, circa 1940
The Public Works Administration contributed $1,329,508 toward the construction of the Sam Houston Coliseum and Music Hall. The architect of record was Alfred C. Finn. Groundbreaking ceremonies were held on November 4, 1936 and dedication was held on November 26, 1937. The buildings housed circuses, concerts, athletic events, stock shows and conventions. The coliseum and music hall were demolished in 1998. The former site of the coliseum was redeveloped into the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts, which opened in 2003.
Strom, Stephen R., "A Legacy of Pride: Houston's PWA Buildings," Houston History Magazine, (https://houstonhistorymagazine.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/legacy-civic-pride-PWA-HR-17.2.pdf), retrieved March 26, 2018.
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on March 26, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE