The former vocational building for Salem High School for African Americans was a pier-and-beam wooden building with a pent awning over the double door entrance. It was constructed by the National Youth Administration (NYA) and contained a brick chimney, likely fitted for a wood stove vent. Historic photographs clearly indicate the NYA marker embedded in the brick chimney located next to the entrance doors. The building is no longer extant.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory. Retrieved from http://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/prop.aspx?view=architectural Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Series 1513-School Photograph Scrapbooks, School Photographs (Mississippi) 1920s-1980s. Item 518. Retrieved from http://mdah.state.ms.us/arrec/digital_archives/series/schoolphotographs/detail/162836 Phay, J. H. (1956). University of Mississippi Bureau of Educational Research, University of Mississippi Digital Collections, Archives and Special Collections. Old Salem High School and Shop. Retrieved from http://clio.lib.olemiss.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/segregation/id/3386/rec/17
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on November 19, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE