Saginaw School Entrance
Saginaw Elementary School in Saginaw, Texas was constructed in large part with federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) funds.
Text from the state historical marker reads:
“Saginaw School. Jarvis J. Green settled here in 1882 and named the site for his former home of Saginaw, Michigan. The Fort Worth and Denver and Santa Fe railroads later crossed here, and in 1892 the first school opened. It was a tuition school on McLeroy Boulevard which became a public school the following year. A 1910 teachers strike against child labor in the school led to the creation of a local parent-teacher association. Fannie Gillen donated land at this site in 1913 and trustees built a two-story brick schoolhouse, replaced in the 1930s by a Preston Geren-designed school funded through the Works Progress Administration. Saginaw schools combined with Eagle Mountain in 1948, and the campus, with several addition, has continued to serve the community.” (2007)
Texas Historical Commission Historical Sites Atlas entry
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on March 26, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE