Rutgers Street subway tunnel: Brooklyn ventilation tower
The Sixth Avenue branch trunk line of New York City’s Independent Subway (IND) was constructed during the 1930s with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. On January 1, 1936, four subway stations opened in southern Manhattan, part of a $17.3 million project that extended the subway from Washington Square to the Lower East Side. The Rutgers Street subway tunnel enabled further extension of the line to Brooklyn at the York Street Station. Use of the tunnel began in 1936.
"La Guardia Opens New Subway Link"; The New York Times, January 2, 1936. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IND_Sixth_Avenue_Line
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 27, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE