“The last structure built in the Main Street Historic District, the Roxbury Central School, is architecturally and historically significant as a Tudor Revival style building that symbolizes the period of centralization in the development of the New York educational system. The facility is an outstanding local landmark in Roxbury and was designed by the locally prominent Albany architect Harold O. Fullerton. Built as a Public Works Administration project between 1939 and 1940, the building eventually replaced eight one-room rural school houses. Architecturally, the Roxbury school design reflects the desire of the village to continue the aesthetic preferences of the Gould family and was chosen to harmonize with the monumental Gothic style church, one block away, which the Gould family built in 1892.”
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on October 6, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE