Visitors Entrance East side of StadiumVisitors Entrance East side of Stadium
Roosevelt, later renamed to Ron Stephens after the second Oklahoma Works Progress Administration (WPA) director, located between 13th and 14th street in Lawton Oklahoma was completed in 1936 by the WPA. Using funds of $72,332 it became the pet project of Ron Stephens who in 1936 was the Assistant WPA Director. Surrounded by high granite walls, with granite and concrete stadium seating for each side of the football field. The press boxes on either side was a second project in 1939. The main entrance is located a 1398 NE Dearborn and 14th street and consists of a high stone arch with wood plank gates that are the original wood planks. Near the entrance is the cornerstone embedded and WPA stamp. The stadium is still used today for Junior varsity games and scrimmages as well as civic events.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory (Stadium) - http://oli_shpo.okstate.edu/query_result.aspx?id=68231&pbc=P
Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory (Press Box) - http://oli_shpo.okstate.edu/query_result.aspx?id=68232&pbc=P
Kutchta, Howard, Centennial Coordinator (2001). Lawton, A Centennial History, 1901–2001. The Lawton Centennial Book Committee. Bell Books
Project originally submitted by Greg Sullaway on May 2, 2021.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE