Roosevelt Pool Glenview IL
Construction on the pool started in 1938 as part of President Franklin D. Roosevelt`s Depression-era Works Progress Administration. The park district furnished the materials, and workers were bused in by the government. The pool, completed in 1940, is the last WPA pool still in use and in its original condition in all of Illinois. WPA construction included a stone bathhouse with fireplace and open-beamed ceiling. Renovations in 2005 to bring the pool into compliance with current building codes retained the historic character of both the pool and bathhouse.
Project originally submitted by Jim Smetana on October 30, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE