A 1934 issue of California Highway & Public Works reported that, “At Ellwood (a neighborhood of Goleta), a change of line, including the approaches to the new concrete bridge over the Southern Pacific tracks, has been completed with a 20 foot P. C. C. pavement on a 36·foot graded roadbed under the provisions of the National Industrial Recovery Act.”
The New Deal era bridge is gone, replaced by a new one by CalTrans.
The original was probably funded by the early PWA, then called the “Emergency Public Works Administration”, which was created as part of the NIRA but far outlasted the parent agency.
California Highway & Public Works, June 1934.
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on July 27, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE