Rocky Public School - Rocky, OK
The Works Progress Administration built the Rocky Public School – Rocky OK
“Rocky’s Orange Blossom School was first established in 1904 with the consolidation of several small schools in nearby towns. The first wood school was lost to fire; a second wood school was torn down in 1926 when a brick school was built on this location. In 1942-1942, the WPA constructed the existing gymnasium for that school. The school continued until 1967 when it was closed due to lack of attendance. The gymnasium remains and is currently occupied as the Community Center. A bronze plaque near the west entrance shows the dates 1941-2.
This is a rectangular building constructed of locally quarried rock. The roof was barrel shaped, but has been covered with a metal gable. Windows along each side are double-hung and set in doubles and triples. Each unit has a concrete sill and there is a continuous concrete lintel across all of them. The building is located at 600 Main Street (U.S. Highway 183), just south of 6th Street.”
Waymarker, Rocky Public School - Rocky OK:(https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM11KER_Rocky_Public_School_Rocky_OK), accessed January 2020.
Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory: (http://oli_shpo.okstate.edu/query_result.aspx?id=68546&pbc=P), accessed January 2020.
Project originally submitted by hamquilter on January 24, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE