Rockville Stone ChapelPhoto courtesy of Douglass Halvorsen
A WPA plaque hanging in front of the chapel building reads: “This Historic Monument Erected A.D. 1856 by Solano County Pioneers. Reconstructed by Federal Works Agency, Work Projects Administration A.D. 1940”
A nearby California Historical Marker no. 779 highlights this structure and reads:
“Erected by pioneers of Methodist Episcopal Church South with volunteer labor and donated funds. Cornerstone laid October 3, 1856. Dedicated February 1857. Site supplied by Landy and Sarah Alford. Chapel deteriorated by 1929 and deeded by the church to Rockville Public Cemetery District as a pioneer monument. Restored in 1940.”
This chapel is currently home to the Church of Christ.
Church of Christ - Fairfield, CA - WPA Projects on Waymarking.com: (http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMQC77), accessed February 15, 2018.
Project originally submitted by Douglass Halvorsen on February 15, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE