In 1937, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) demolished an abandoned reservoir at 16th St. and Morrow Drive, filled in the hole, leveled the adjacent area, and sodded and seeded the entire area.
The open space was intended to be used for recreational purposes in Rock Creek Park and today appears to be the site of the Carter Barron soccer fields, next to the Brightwood Recreation Center (also built by the WPA).
National Archives, Record Group 69, “Microfilmed Index to WPA Projects.”
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on June 10, 2013.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE