Robinson Hall – Robinson ND

Description

Discussions regarding the hall’s construction started in 1934 with Bismarck-based architect HM Leonard. According to Golden Jubilee, Robinson North Dakota, “A special election was held October 3, 1934, to issue bonds of $2,000.00 to erect a community hall. In August 1935, lots 10, 11 in block 3 were purchased for $100.00 from OB Wells as a site for the community hall.” Pete Konningsrud worked as foreman during the hall’s construction. The construction of the hall alone employed a great number of people from the area. According to an article from the Steele Ozone & Kidder County Press from 1942, area businessmen and farmers were encouraged to contact the foremen of these local projects if they were looking for help on their farms and in their businesses. Thus, these WPA projects proved to serve as somewhat of an employment center for those looking for work and those looking for workers.

The hall was built with local fieldstone by local workers including, Bill McDonald, Hans Boyum, and Gil Semmen to name a few. Construction was completed in 1937 and the site was dedicated September 10, 1937. There were well over 600 people in attendance. The building is located on Robinson’s Main Street, standing where the town’s first post office and Swanson’s Store once stood. The two buildings were destroyed by fire in 1932. Later in 1937, an addition for the jail and fire hall was built.

In 1939, a separate WPA project aided in the addition of sidewalks and in 1942 an addition was built on the north side of the building for a dressing room and stage. According to Golden Jubilee, Robinson North Dakota, In 1940 the discussion of bringing power via the REA was started with Tri-County Electric Co-op. In 1941 power lines were erected and Robinson was electrified.
Discussions regarding the hall’s construction started in 1934.with Bismarck-based architect HM Leonard. According to Golden Jubilee, Robinson North Dakota, “A special election was held October 3, 1934, to issue bonds of $2,000.00 to erect a community hall. In August 1935, lots 10, 11 in block 3 were purchased for $100.00 from OB Wells as a site for the community hall.” Pete Konningsrud worked as foreman during the hall’s construction. The construction of the hall alone employed a great number of people from the area. According to an article from the Steele Ozone & Kidder County Press from 1942, area businessmen and farmers were encouraged to contact the foremen of these local projects if they were looking for help on their farms and in their businesses. Thus these WPA projects proved to serve as somewhat of an employment center for those looking for work and those looking for workers.

The hall was built with local fieldstone by local workers including, Bill McDonald, Hans Boyum, and Gil Semmen to name a few. Construction was completed in 1937 and the site was dedicated September 10, 1937. There were well over 600 people in attendance. The building is located on Robinson’s Main Street, standing where the town’s first post office and Swanson’s Store once stood. The two buildings were destroyed by fire in 1932. Later in 1937, an addition for the jail and fire hall was built.

In 1939, a separate WPA project aided in the addition of sidewalks and in 1942 an addition was built on the north side of the building for a dressing room and stage. According to Golden Jubilee, Robinson North Dakota, In 1940 the discussion of bringing power via the REA was started with Tri-County Electric Co-op. In 1941 power lines were erected and Robinson was electrified.

Source notes

State Museum ND, (http://blog.statemuseum.nd.gov/blog/quirky-connections-robinson-town-hall-wpa-ole), accessed July 2019.

Jamestown Sun, (https://www.jamestownsun.com/community/history/4436229-robinson-hall-listed-register) accessed July 2019.

Golden Jubilee, Robinson North Dakota, 1960.

Project originally submitted by Sabrina Hornung on July 9, 2019.

We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.

SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE

Location Info


Robinson, North Dakota 58478

Location notes: General location marker. The Community Hall is centrally located within the town of Robinson North Dakota. A town of close to 40 off of Highway 36 in Kidder county.

Coordinates: 47.1426623, -99.78223447500761

Leave a Reply

Before leaving a comment, please note:

  • Comments allow viewers to share information with others or alert us to errors or changes in a New Deal site.
  • We are not involved in the management of New Deal sites and have no information about visits, hours or rentals.
  • This page shows all the information we have for this site; if you have new information or photos to share, click below.

SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE

We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.