Facilities in Roadside Park - Hamiton TXPhoto: Eveline Evans © All Rights Reserved 6/23/19
This picnic area on U.S. 281 in Hamilton County is an early roadside park constructed by the Texas Highway Department (now Texas Department of Transportation). This roadside park was completed in 1936 to accommodate motorists attending the State’s Centennial Events.
This park is home to the 1936 Pink County Centennial Marker.
Listed on TX DOT flyer as a surviving depression era roadside park. These early picnic area were constructed by young men of the National Youth Administration (NYA). Construction of park facilities was quite labor-intensive. NYA workers usually quarried and dressed their own stone and felled their own trees for lumber. Stone and concrete were used in the construction of picnic tables and benches, barbecue pits, walls, pathway and rubbish burners.
TX Dot Brochure (ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/library/pubs/kids/roadside.pdf) lists this location on the map as #40.
Project originally submitted by Eveline Evans on June 25, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE