“The Works Progress Administration or WPA set up shop in 1936 at Stevens Corner, the intersection of Beach and Youngtown Roads, in the former Stevens farm. The WPA was meant to provide employment for needy workers on public works projects.
The men worked on a variety of projects including a rock retaining wall in Sleepy Hollow, granite bridges on Ducktrap, Youngtown and Tanglewood roads, and general repair of bad spots on roads throughout town. The WPA had a garage at their Stevens Corner headquarters where they stored tools and other equipment. After some theft occurred, Kenneth Calderwood was hired as night watchman on the site, patrolling the various buildings every hour. It was a lonely spot in the middle of the night, and Kenneth reported hearing mountain lions scream.”
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on December 16, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE