In April 1936, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) approved a project for the construction of a new grandstand and tunnel at the Riverside Speedway in Neligh. The project would necessitate the razing of the existing grandstand, which was too small, and erecting a new one along with a tunnel under the speedway at the south end of the grandstand. Plans called for seating of approximately 2000, which would greatly improve the seating capacity of the speedway. The cost was anticipated to be approximately $4,200.00, 20% of which would be borne by the city.
Work on the grandstand began in September 1936. A crew of twelve began tearing down the old structure. The fair board estimated it would take between six and eight weeks to complete the project. The new grandstand would be 176 feet long and 46 feet wide. It was built of heavy timber with a concrete foundation.
In late December 1936, a carload of heavy planking arrived in Neligh for the grandstand project. Two more carloads were anticipated. Work on the concrete foundation was proceeding. Once completed, the wood construction could begin.
Norfolk Daily News, 27 April 1936. Norfolk Daily News, 19 September 1936. Norfolk Daily News, 21 December 1936.
Project originally submitted by Jill Dolberg on July 20, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE