Rienzi PlaygroundRienzi Playground
On December 4, 1941, the NYC Department of Parks announced the start of construction on two new playgrounds in the Bronx, including what is now known as Rienzi Playground. The release explains that the WPA was removing sixteen 1-3 story brick buildings in preparation for the WPA construction of the play area, which would include: volleyball, basketball, tennis, handball and shuffleboard courts; a wading pool; a brick comfort station; slides, swings, seesaws, a sandpit and an exercise unit; and a softball diamond.
Though begun by the WPA, however, the work was only completed later. The NYC Parks Department website, as well a press releases from 1943, explains: “War-time shortages, however, probably delayed the construction of the new playground. Additional plans were prepared in 1943, and the park was completed along with eight other unfinished Work Projects Administration sites soon afterwards.”
NYC Parks Dept press release of December 4, 1941. NYC Parks Dept press release of March 13, 1943. Rienzi Playground, NYC Parks Department website.
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on June 16, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE