Richmond County Supreme Court
The Works Progress Administration worked to “renovate and repair” several buildings on Staten Island (Richmond County), a $225,507 project begun in 1935. One of those buildings was the Richmond County Courthouse, next to the Borough Hall in the St. George district of Staten Island. The courthouse was built in 1919 in Neoclassical style and housed the Richmond County Supreme Court until 2015 (parts of the Supreme Court remain in the old courthouse).
Today it is home to two sets of murals by Charles Davis and Axel Horn, originally painted for the old Farm Colony poorhouse and long hung in the old Seaview Hospital.
National Archives RG 69: Records of the Work Projects Administration [WPA]; Project Files; New York City (E 407); box 684; roll 3643; Official Project No. 65-97-41.
National Archives; Record Group 69: Records of the Work Projects Administration;
Records of the Project Control Division; microfilm publication T935; roll 41.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on September 9, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE