Wallum Lake Administration Building
The Wallum Lake House was the Sanatorium’s main building. It is a large, 3-story brick building, in the Colonial Revival style. The State Sanatorium was originally used as a place for the treatment of tuberculosis patients. It was designed by the Providence architectural firm of Howe & Church during the mid-1930s. This building replaced the Sanatorium’s original building, which had opened in 1905. When it opened, Tuberculosis was the leading cause of death in Rhode Island.
The hospital became the Zambarano Unit of Eleanor Slater Hospital in 1994. It is now used primarily to care for long-term patients requiring intensive care.
The Bridgemen’s Magazine described the building’s construction in 1936:
“State, Emergency P. Wks. Cmn., State House, Providence, 3 story, basement, brick, steel, stone hospital and administration building, concrete found., at Wallum Lake Sanatorium. $1,080,000. P.W.A. project. Howe & Church, 1014 Turks Head Bldg., Providence, archts.”
Page 72, The Bridgemen's Magazine (1936) http://www.bhddh.ri.gov/esh/zam.php
Project originally submitted by John P. on February 15, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE