A long, low, Classical Revival building, originally built to houses the nurses employed by the Sanatorium. Architecturally, it is defined by the slightly projecting central pavilion ornamented with pilasters and a pediment. Like the Sanatorium’s main building, Wallum Lake House, the Nurses’ Building was a PWA project. The architects of the building were Walter F. Fontaine & Sons, of Woonsocket.
The Sanatorium is now the Zambarano Unit of Eleanor Slater Hospital. Built to house tuberculosis patients, it is now occupied by long-term cases requiring intensive care.
Page 88, The Bridgemen's Magazine, Volume 35 (1935) Page 13, Rhode Island: State-Owned Historic Properties (Rhode Island Historical Preservation Commission, 1989)
Project originally submitted by John P. on February 18, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE