Built by the PWA in 1936 as the main building of its institution, the Virks Building is one of the largest buildings in this part of the city. It features a large portico, overlooking West Road. It was designed by Ambrose J. Murphy of Providence, more well known for his ecclesiastical designs. The building is currently vacant, with a proposal to convert it into offices.
Pages 15 & 19, Rhode Island: State-Owned Historic Properties (Rhode Island Historical Preservation Commission, 1989) PDF version available at http://www.preservation.ri.gov/survey/publications.php
Project originally submitted by John P. on February 20, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE