Ranger's ResidenceRanger's Residence
A one-story Rustic building was originally constructed for residence at the Choctaw Lake Recreation Area. MDAH conjectures the agency as the Civilian Conservation Corps; Sanders defined the construction as by the WPA through the Soil Conservation Project, along with other buildings when the lake and recreation area were constructed.
From the Mississippi Department of Archives and History: “This recreation area was developed between 1936 and 1938 by the WPA for the Soil Conservation Service. The property was later conveyed to the US Forest Service, USDA. It originally contained a dance pavilion, a lodge, a bath house, and cabins, but these structures have since been demolished. The former Manager’s Residence, now the Ranger’s Residence, is the only significant surviving building.”
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory Database. Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Ackerman Historic Resources Inventory database. Sanders, T. (02/26/1998). Nomination form for the National Register of Historic Places. Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Ackerman Historic Records Inventory database.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on May 28, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE