Ranger residence - Wupatki National Monument AZ
Wupatki National Monument was established in 1924, following decades of plunder of artifacts by American settlers. Archaeological excavation and restoration of the main pueblo began in 1933. In 1939-42, a contingent of Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) enrollees (from Mt Elden camp at Flagstaff) began development of the monument for public use, building trails, a ranger residence, a utility building, and water supply system. (NNDPA 2012)
The ranger residence is located on hill above the current visitor center (it replaced a prior residence inside the main pueblo ruins). It is an elegant stone building in mid-20th century modern style. The CCC utility building has probably been removed and newer residence have been added. The current visitors center is recent.
NNDPA, "The New Deal in Arizona: Connections to Our Historic Landscape," The New Deal in Arizona Chapter of the National New Deal Preservation Association, 2012. https://content.library.arizona.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/NewDeal/id/199/rec/56
Project originally submitted by Joan Greer on April 17, 2022.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE