Ramsey High School
The monumental Ramsey High School was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA provided a $270,000 grant for the project, whose total cost was $600,106. Construction occurred between Jan. 1936 and Apr. 1937. PWA Docket No. NJ 1047-R.
RamseyHistory.org: “The first high school class (2 students) graduated in 1909 from the school that is now Ramsey’s Borough Hall (There were schools before that in Ramsey, but this was the first full four year High School course approved by State authorities). After that, starting in 1912, the Dater School building (recently torn down) was the high school. But by 1935 more space was needed for Ramsey’s expanding base of students, and a new building was proposed and construction began on January 16th, 1936.
The ‘new Ramsey High School’, from which another group of students will graduate this month, was dedicated in 1937.”
Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 18.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on October 15, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE