Project type: Civic Facilities
Completed: 1940View Project in a Separate Window
This public market structure was built with Works Progress Administration funds in order to relieve traffic congestion around the courthouse square where the farmer’s market had been held.
“The new market is entirely fireproof, constructed of heavy pipe welded in position with corrugated metal roof and tile stucco front…floor is concrete, the building is open on all sides, and roll awnings give sun protection” (Weatherford builds a $13,000 public market place, 1940, p. 7).
Weatherford builds a $13,000 public market place. (September 19, 1940). Wise County Messenger, Decatur, Texas. p. 7
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on November 7, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE