Building 1Taken Aug. 20, 1940. National Archives: Record Group 121-BS: Records of the Public Buildings Service: Completion views of federal buildings (prints) alphabetically by state and thereunder by city, to 1966; Box 55. Scanned and processed by Evan Kalish.
The federal government under F.D.R. constructed a large new health research complex in Hamilton, Montana, with construction completed in 1940. The laboratory had originally been housed in a “two-story empty school building.”
NIH: “After its successful work with spotted fever the Rocky Mountain Laboratory expanded its facilities and programs … to work on other insect-borne diseases, such as yellow fever and the spirochetal relapsing fevers.”
Now known as “Rocky Mountain Laboratories,” the facility is still in use.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on August 6, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE