PS Knoll Lookout
The historic PS Knoll fire lookout tower was [most likely] built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).
NRHP nomination form: “Located on the Alpine Ranger District, this 45 ft 9 in high steel tower has a steel cab, This tower is an Aermotor Company MC-40 and was probably constructed by the CCC in 1933. The PS Knoll complex also includes a wood Frame dwelling (Plan B-E6) and a wood-frame storage shed (Plan B-6001) both constructed in 1939 and a wood-frame privy (Plan U-10) constructed in 1940. Comparison with historic photographs taken in the early 1940s indicates that no remodeling has occurred on any of the structures at this site. The entire complex has retained its original integrity of design, construction, workmanship, materials, location, setting and association and is recommended For National Register eligibility. The boundary of the PS Knoll lookout complex is a square which measures 120 ft by 120 ft with the tower at the southeast corner oF the property. The area surrounding the complex within the boundary is not considered a “buffer area,” but is integral to the setting of the property.”
National Register of Historic Places nomination form:
"National Forest Fire Lookouts in the Southwestern Region. USDA Forest Service"
(.pdf page 32 of 115; accessed Mar. 2018)
National Historic Lookout Register:
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 1, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE