Then known as the Montana [State] School of Mines, the PWA granted $320,000 for the construction of a new dormitory.
The school’s website explains: “Construction of the Residence Hall began in 1935 with an appropriation grant from the Federal Emergency Relief Administration of Public Works. It was open for use during the 1935-1936 academic year. The main structure has four floors each with a student lounge. In addition, there are two wings, each with one floor. It was originally designed to house 110 students.”
http://www.mtech.edu/about/visit/map/reshalls.htm "$150 for Each Montanan, Uncle Sam's Part in Welfare by Loans and Grants"; Big Timber Pioneer, Jan. 25, 1934, page 6.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 10, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE