Remnants of Orick fish hatchery - Orick CA
The Prairie Creek Fish Hatchery near Orick was one of the first local hatcheries developed in California to improve sport and commercial fishing. It was constructed in 1936 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) on the 62-acre site of a previous hatchery. The work included the hatchery ponds, five water tanks, a pipeline, superintendent’s house, assistant’s house, sidewalk, garage shop, and shed.
The hatchery operated until 1992 and the site is now on the National Register of Historic Places.
PWA project records in the National Archives
Project originally submitted by Gray Brechin on April 25, 2010.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE