Powell Hall, Valdosta State University
“Dedicated by Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt in 1941 as Georgia State Women’s College Library and officially named for Richard Holmes Powell, the first president of the institution, in 1947. It served as the library for the college for 30 years before Odum Library was constructed. Powell now houses an auditorium, the offices of Career Services, Co-op Education, Testing, Housing, the Counseling Center, and Alcohol and Other Drug Education.” (Wikipedia)
The building “represented the fifth project designed for the campus by the firm of Edwards and Sawyard. Later, the completed building was dedicated by First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt in 1941 …” (Wikipedia)
"Valdosta State University" by Deborah Skinner Davis; Arcadia Publishing, Apr 12, 2001 (page 43). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Valdosta_State_University http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buildings_at_Valdosta_State_University
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on December 21, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE