Watonga, OK post officeNational Archives: Record Group 121-BS: Records of the Public Buildings Service: Completion views of federal buildings (prints) alphabetically by state and thereunder by city, to 1966; Box 73. Scanned and processed by Evan Kalish.
The historic post office in Watonga, Oklahoma was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. The building, which houses New Deal artwork inside, was completed in 1937 and is still in use today.
This is a one-story red brick building, with a side to side gable roof covered in composition shingles. The entrance is on the east and consists of a 6-step staircase with iron railings leading to a double aluminum and glass doorway, with sidelights and a fixed transom. Above the entrance is a multi-paned fanlight. The windows throughout are 9 over 9 single hung.
In the lobby, the original wood door into the postmaster’s office offers a peak into the past. Above that door is a WPA mural, added in 1941. The mural is titled Roman Nose Canyon, and was painted by Edith Mahier, a University of Oklahoma student who won the commission to paint this mural.
Watonga Post OfficeWatonga Post Office
Watonga Post Office cornerstoneWatonga Post Office cornerstone
National Archives: Record Group 121-BS: Records of the Public Buildings Service: Completion views of federal buildings (prints) alphabetically by state and thereunder by city, to 1966; Box 73. Waymarking.com
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish, hamquilter on January 24, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE