“The Town Crier” by Leo LentelliIn the current North East post office.
“The Town Crier” is a cast stone relief that was installed in the old North East post office in October 1936. It was carved by New York sculptor Leo Lentelli and funded by the Section of Fine Arts program.
The relief now hangs in the current North East post office lobby, where the wall was specially reinforced for the work’s installation.
A plaque in the lobby states:
“The 6 foot by 3 foot relief sculpture was commissioned for the new North East post office in 1936. It originally hung on the west wall over the Postmaster’s door.”
Plaque in post office lobby. https://www.wpamurals.com/pennsylv.htm
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on October 15, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE