Oak Park Post office
The Oak Park post office was designed to accommodate the village’s growing population which rose from 39,858 in 1920 to 80,000 in 1930. Congress appropriated $600,000 prior to new deal legislation in 1931 with an additional $70,000 appropriated in 1935 to complete the project which had been delayed.
The post office sits on a prominent parcel of downtown Oak Park which was purchased at a cost of $175,000 from the George R. Hemingway brokerage office. The building was dedicated on August 21, 1936 and remains an active post office today.
“Dedication of New Post Office.” Oak Leaves, August 20, 1936. “Exterior of Oak Park’s New Post Office Building.” The Oakparker, January 22, 1932. Fox-Hoagland, Gertrude. “Historical Survey of Oak Park Illinois.” Federal Works Progress Administration Project #9516 (1937) “New Postal Building Dedicated Tonight.” The Oakparker, August 21,1936. “Postoffice Plan.” Oak Leaves, January 8,1932. “Select Site for New $600,00 Post Office Building.” The Oakparker, October 1, 1931.
Project originally submitted by Maria Faulisi on May 17, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE