"First Performance of Edwin Booth"
Artists: William H. CalfeeView Project in a Separate Window
The Section of Fine Arts mural entitled “First Performance of Edwin Booth,” painted by William Calfee, was completed for the former Bel Air post office in 1938. It now hangs in the current post office at Blum Court.
Originally posted in the New Deal Art Registry: https://www.newdealartregistry.org/
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE
The building in which this mural was installed in 1938 still stands in downtown Bel Air, and serves as the headquarters of the Historical Society of Harford County. Sadly, Postal Service officials insisted on dismounting the mural from its original site and removing it to a dark corner in the warehouse-like structure in a very congested commercial section at the edge of the community. The Society continues to maintain the space above the Postmaster’s Office awaiting an enlightened decision by the Postal authorities to reverse their misguided action and allow Calfee’s painting to return to its original location.