Millbury MA Post Office
The contract to build the Millbury post office was awarded to the Daniel Cunningham Construction Company on March 15, 1940. The project was to be completed within 270 calendar days at a cost of $54,353.00. Groundbreaking occurred at the end of April and construction was completed in late October. The building officially opened on January 27, 1941 with postmaster James L. Ivory.
The walls and ceiling are constructed of steel and are reinforced with stone and concrete. The basement contains a large room that was originally constructed as a bomb shelter.
The mural “An Incident in the King Philip War, 1670” was painted by Joe Lasker and installed in 1941 and was “revivified” in 1991.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 24, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE