Golden eagle sculpture over the entrance of post office - Martinez CA
The Martinez downtown post office was constructed by the Treasury Department Office of Procurement for the United States Post Office in 1936-37. It is a striking one-story Moderne building built of reinforced concrete, with a central entrance and two windows on each side of the facade.
The entrance and central windows are bordered by lovely decorative bas-relief elements and there is a beautiful golden-eagle sculpture over the door.
The interior of the post office is in excellent condition, with the original woodwork, metal grills and post boxes. It also houses a New Deal mural by Hamlin and Dixon at the south end of the lobby, over the Postmaster’s office.
The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has been recently restored.
King, John, "Chasing Bay Area artifacts of the New Deal," San Francisco Chronicle, 9-1-2008.
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on June 6, 2009.
Additional contributions by Kristin Henderson.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE