Louisville MS Post OfficeOriginal building
The post office was built by the Treasury Department in 1935 in a Colonial Revival style.
The post office was enlarged with an addition in 1989-90 by architects Samuel “Sambo” Mockbee, Coker, and Tom Howorth. As so many small communities have chosen to replace their historic depression-era post offices, it is of note that Louisville chose a preservation path to keep the post office, and its “art for the people” available to the community at large.
Black, Patti Carr. (1998). Art in Mississippi, 1720-1980. Mississippi Historical Society: Marquand Books, Seattle. Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Historic Resources Inventory.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on September 23, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE