The Lawrenceburg post office was completed in 1935 with Louis A. Simon as supervising architect and John W. Wolcott Jr. as architect. The original building is a “symmetrical five-by brick building” and has been extended with an addition that is in sympathetic design. Concrete American eagle medallions are inset above the windows on either side of the fanlight above the entrance doors. Replicas of the eagle medallions are also above 2 of the windows on the extension. Contractors were Forcum-James of Dyersburg.
Van West, C. (2001). Tennessee's New Deal Landscape: A Guidebook. University of Tennessee Press: Knoxville.
"Post Office Contract Let." (Feb. 24, 1935). The Tennessean, p. 2.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on June 17, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE