Post OfficeThe site of RFD Franklin restaurant, which is housed in the building that formerly housed Franklin’s post office, was built in 1936 through a New Deal program. A separate New Deal program hired artist Jean Swiggett to paint a mural for the inside of the post office. That mural is still around, though it has been moved to the new post office location on Main Street.
The historic post office building in Franklin, Indiana was constructed during the Great Depression. It is home to Jean Swiggett’s 1940 mural, “Local Industry,” and is still in use today.
Originally posted in the New Deal Art Registry: http://www.newdealartregistry.org/
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE