The post office in David City, Nebraska was constructed with federal funds. The building, which opened in 1935, is still in use today.
In 1933, as a part of President Roosevelt’s New Deal, the federal government appropriated $16,678,675 to build 237 government buildings in the United States. Nebraska received $233,600 to build five modest post offices in Wayne, Lexington, Superior, David City, and Seward. Because of the Depression, the federal government and the public found it improper for these post offices to be large so, according to the Wayne Herald, “the plan…is to erect ‘needed post offices of a sensible, utilitarian character instead of monumental edifices.”
A huge celebration was planned for the dedication of the post office. Miss Ruth Etting, a former David City girl whose singing made her popular with radio and theater audiences, returned to David City for the dedication ceremony. Additionally, David City citizens would hear the Assistant Postmaster General speak, along with the mayor of Lincoln, the president of the Omaha Chamber of Commerce, and former Governor A. J. Weaver. Over 200 postmasters from throughout Nebraska were expected to attend. Organizers had also recruited ten marching bands to perform in procession, which would together stretch four miles.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish, Jill Dolberg on April 29, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE