Post Office - Culver City CA
This historic post office was constructed in 1940 by the federal government as part of the New Deal.
After the government reorganization of 1939, responsibility for the construction and maintenance of federal buildings passed from the Treasury Department to the newly-form Federal Works Administration (FWA) – although the agency in charge, the Public Buildings Administration, had not changed. The cornerstone lists John M. Carmody as Federal Works Administrator and W. Englebert Reynolds as Commissioner of Public Buildings. James Farley was still Postmaster General.
The building design is late Moderne style. It has a central recessed entrance with large windows and four pillars without capitals. There are no decorative elements on the exterior other than two large brass lamps and a flagpole holder.
The interior is still intact, with original tile floors, woodwork and post boxes. There is a mural at one end of the lobby.
More photos by Jordan McAlister can be found at:
Project originally submitted by Shaina Potts on March 3, 2010.
Additional contributions by Evan Kalish, Richard A Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE