Berryville Post Office
“In late 1937, Congress authorized $70 million for public works projects over a three-year period. The majority of those were post offices, and among four in Arkansas was a new post office for Berryville in mountainous Carroll County. The building was designed in 1938 and erected in 1938-9 by Linbarger and Fraser, Contractors, of Camden, Arkansas. Louis A. Simon was the supervising architect for the project, Neal A. Melick was supervising engineer, W.G. Noll was superintendent of architecture, and J.A. Ackerman was construction engineer.
The new Berryville Post Office opened for business on August 31, 1939, leaving its previous location on the west side of the town square for the spacious new facility on East Madison Avenue. The structure’s four basement rooms were occupied by County Agent C.F. Lund, Home Demonstration Agent Carrie P. Taylor, and Administrative Assistant Roy Keeling. A formal dedication was held on September 2, 1939, with Congressman Clyde T. Ellis as the chief speaker.”
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE