Cortland, NY post office
The historic post office building in Cortland, New York “was built in 1913-1915 and enlarged in 1940-1941.” The extension was funded by the federal Treasury Department, a New Deal project, and the post office bears a rare cornerstone documenting the original date of construction as well as the date of the addition.
The building “is one of a number of post offices in New York State designed by the Office of the Supervising Architect of the Treasury Department, Oscar Wenderoth. It is a one story building with a brick foundation clad in granite with facades clad in coursed ashlar limestone in the Neoclassical style.”
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on May 9, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE