Portland Waldorf Schoo
Doors of the Milwaukie Junior High School opened in November 1936 after the structure’s construction with funding from a Public Works Administration grant ($53,118) and a local bond issue ($65,000). The new building replaced a wooden school a short distance away that was demolished for construction of Milwaukie’s City Hall. In 2002, the Portland Waldorf School acquired the red brick building and currently occupies it.
The Portland based architect Luther L. Dougan designed the Georgian-style school building with Walter E. Kelly serving as the site architect. Portland contractor Joseph H. Anderson won the bid to construct the structure. As noted in its Clackamas County Cultural Resource Survey Form, the features of architectural interest include a hipped roof with hip roof projections, multi-light double hung windows and, at the main entrance, a gable roof with broken pediment, a porthole window in the gable peak, quoined corners and round-headed door openings with fanlights.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
"Milwaukie Historical Timeline," City of Milwaukie website (accessed June 7, 2021). Milwaukie Historical Timeline | City of Milwaukie Oregon Official Website
"Milwaukie Junior High School," Cultural Resource Survey Form - Clackamas County. September 23, 1983. Oregon State Historic Preservation Database.
"10 PWA Projects Given to County: Clackamas Works to Cost More Than $1,000,000," Oregonian. September 30, 1935. p. 4.
"Portlander Wins School Contract: Milwaukie and Ardenwald Work to Cost $88,000," Oregonian. January 19, 1936. p. 14.
Project originally submitted by Judith T Kenny on June 7, 2021.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE